1. Reread "Living with the Constitution" at the beginning of the chapter. Marcia Hsu wants to introduce several bill. As a member of Congress, which, if any, of the bills deals with an area within federal legislative power? Specify which federal power justifies each bill.
2. Answer the following questions regarding the case McCullouch v. Maryland.
a. Why did Maryland claim that the federal government could not establish a national bank?
b. Why did the federal government claim that Maryland tax was unconstitutional?
3. Answer the following questions regarding the case Gibbons v. Ogden.
a. How did the Supreme Court define interstate commerce?
b. Did the Court believe that states could also regulate interstate commerce?
4. Answer the following questions regarding the case Wickard b. Filburn.
a. Why did Filburn believe that he was not involved in interstate commerce and that therefore the federal law should not apply to him?
b. What argument did the government make supporting the belief that the quota should apply to Filburn?
5. Answer the following questions regarding United States v. Lopez.
a. Why does Justice Rehnquist believe that before an activity can be regulated by Congress it must substantially affect interstate commerce, rather than just affect it?
b. Why did Justices Breyer, Stevens, Souter, and Ginsburg disagree with Chief Justice Rehnquist?